Bad Cannstatt

bad cannstatt 6

Bad Cannstatt

Bad Cannstatt, bis 23. Juli 1933 Cannstatt, früher offiziell auch Kannstadt (um 1900), Canstatt oder Cannstadt genannt, ist der einwohnerstärkste und älteste Stadtbezirk der baden-württembergischen Landeshauptstadt Stuttgart. Bad Cannstatt liegt beiderseits des Neckars und wurde bereits in der Römerzeit gegründet.
bad cannstatt 1

Bad Cannstatt

Records survive of Roman knowledge of the area’s springs. The present name first appeared as the seat of a court held by Charlemagne in the 8th century while trying the rebellious dukes of Alemannia and Bavaria. Cannstatt was the capital of the county of Württemberg into the 14th or 15th century; the Rotenberg was the location of the ruling house’s ancestral castle. Cannstatt subsequently formed part of the duchy, electorate, and kingdom of Württemberg. It lay about 2.5 miles (4 km) from Stuttgart proper, although it has since grown to include Bad Cannstatt. In the 13th or 14th century, Louis the Bavarian expanded its rights and privileges to equality with Esslingen. Its 15th-century cathedral was dedicated to St Uffo. In 1755, the Great Lisbon earthquake caused the town hall to subside about 3 feet (1 m). Amid the Napoleonic Wars, the town was the site of a French victory over the Austrians on 21 July 1796.
bad cannstatt 2

Bad Cannstatt

During the planning of the original railway in Württemberg, the Württemberg Central Railway (German: Württembergische Centralbahn), it was proposed to provide a station for the city of Cannstatt with its 5,500 inhabitants. The original proposal for the line consisted of a connection between the proposed Stuttgart Central Station to Cannstatt, where it would branch towards Esslingen and Ludwigsburg. Because of Stuttgart’s geographical location, the route via Cannstatt was the only feasible route for a railway with the technology of the time.
bad cannstatt 3

The first station building in Cannstatt was probably designed by Michael Knoll, who developed Karl Etzel’s plans for the First Stuttgart Central Station (Stuttgarter Centralbahnhof). The construction of the two-story, small building commenced in 1844 parallel with the Stuttgart station. The extremely simple, narrow building in Cannstatt had ten parallel axes and a side projection. In it, on the ground floor, were the office of the station manager, two waiting rooms, the cash room and a luggage room. On the first floor were living rooms and a conference room. Close to the station building there was a turntable. A carriage and an engine shed were arranged to the left and the right symmetrically. There was also the beginning of a freight shed.
bad cannstatt 4

Bad Cannstatt station is a railway junction, where traffic from Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof on the Fils Valley Railway separates from the Rems and the Murr Railways. Here tracks 1 to 4 are used for regional traffic and tracks 5-8 are used for long-distance traffic. The tracks to and from Waiblingen run in each case between the tracks to and from Esslingen, the tracks are disentangled east of the station. Nowadays tracks 2 and 3 are used only by the S-Bahn, the other tracks are used by regional services.
bad cannstatt 5

Der obere und untere Schlossgarten geht nahtlos in den zu Bad Cannstatt zählenden Rosensteinpark über, welcher im Südwesten durch Gleise, nördlich durch den zoologisch-botanischen Garten Wilhelma und die „Pragstraße“ und im Nordwesten durch das Löwentor begrenzt wird. Durch den alten Baumbestand und die großflächigen Wiesen gilt der Rosensteinpark als größter englischer Landschaftspark im Südwesten Deutschlands. König Wilhelm I. ließ den Garten zwischen 1824 und 1840 anlegen, was den Bau des klassizistischen Schlosses – dem heutigen Rosensteinmuseum – beinhaltete.
bad cannstatt 6

On 5 October 1845, the first railway in Württemberg was opened from Cannstatt to Untertürkheim. Following the completion of the Rosenstein Tunnel on 4 July 1846, the first train ran into Stuttgart station on 26 September 1846.
bad cannstatt 7

In the 19th century, it boasted an attractive town hall, a royal theater, a market house, the Wilhelma and Rosenstein palaces, and extensive industry including wool-spinning, dyeing, steelmaking, and construction of machinery. There were then about 40 mineral springs, which were considered beneficial for „dyspepsia and weakness of the nervous system“, as well as „diseases of the throat“. Cannstatt was the site of Gottlieb Daimler’s invention of the motorcycle and housed an automobile factory before the First World War. Around that time, it also had notable railway and chemical works and a brewery. It was incorporated into Stuttgart in 1904.

7 Photos of the Bad Cannstatt

bad cannstatt 7bad cannstatt 6bad cannstatt 5bad cannstatt 4bad cannstatt 3bad cannstatt 2bad cannstatt 1

Leave a comment